During this time of unprecedented crisis, the SME Finance Forum, a global SME finance community managed by IFC, remains committed to supporting its members and partners. The Forum has created a repository of resources, events, and other vital information relevant to the SME Finance ecosystem.
1. Virtual Roundtable Series – By invitation only
Over a period of less than two weeks, since COVID 19 was officially declared a pandemic by WHO on March 11, 2020, the number of people known to have been infected by the virus has tripled. At least more than 330,000 were known to have the virus in over 150 countries and 14,000 have lost their lives to the virus. More and more countries have taken unprecedented and drastic measures to contain the spread of the virus by closing towns, cities, and national borders, disrupting not only the social lives of the people but also the economies, including millions of SMEs around the world.
Starting Thursday, March 26, 8:00 a.m. EST, and initially, for the next six weeks, the SME Finance Forum has hosted an hour-long Webex-based Online Discussion Series for Members on the COVID-19 crisis. These weekly sessions are organized to provide SME Finance Forum members with opportunities to share and learn from each other’s experiences. On a case-by-case basis, the SME Finance Forum also invites non-members to join. If you are a non-member and would like to join an SME Finance Forum webinar, reach out to the RFF team here.
Each meeting will focus on several themes (examples below), though all and any questions will be accepted:
- Collections/grace periods/other adjustments
- Managing disruptions to supply chains and their financing;
- Regulator relations/adjustments to prudential norms
- Risk management for both existing borrowers and first time (previously non-borrowing) clients
- Loan classification and credit information sharing;
- Government initiatives
- Development finance institutions’ responses
The Forum will prepare a written summary after each discussion that will be shared on the Members Portal, with access only to members and speakers.
Schedule (Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. EST)
- March 26 – IFC and Kabbage efforts
- April 2 – Lessons from Asia
- April 9 – Alibaba and Ant Financial – Integrating market and financial assistance (Just announced)
- April 16 – Digital Relief (to be announced)
2. Online Repository
- Weekly Member Update Summary on COVID-19 – March 30, 2020
- Weekly Member Update Summary on COVID-19 – March 23, 2020
International Organization’s COVID-19 Hubs
- The World Bank Group and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
- World Health Organization on Coronavirus Outbreak
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on COVID-19
- OECD Online Policy Hub in Response to Coronavirus Crisis
- Member DBS: Supporting Our SME Community Amid A Crisis
- Member Ant Financial working to help SMEs affected by the coronavirus crisis
Originally posted on the SME Finance Forum’s website.