What information do we collect?
Information You Provide
We and our affiliates, business partners and service providers may collect any information that you provide when you use the Site, including when you create an account, purchase a product, write a product review, apply for a job, participate in our message boards or forums, sign up to receive our electronic newsletters, participate in polls and surveys, or otherwise contact us with a question, comment, or request. This can include, but is not limited to, (a) your name, contact information, and other registration information; (b) transaction-related information, such as when you make purchases or respond to any offers; (c) information you post to public forums on the Site; and (d) information you provide us when you contact us.
Information Automatically Collected From You
We and our affiliates, business partners and service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer when you use the Site, such as your Internet Protocol address, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Site, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Site, and the search terms you enter on the Site. For example, we collect information and compile statistics about the most and least popular pages on the Site.
This information allows us to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Site using the same computer or deviceand to improve the Site and the services we provide. We and our affiliates, business partners and service providers may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that the Site saves on your computer using your web browser and accesses when you return, or similar technologies.
How do we use this information?
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- providing you with information about the Site or required notices;
- delivering marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- customizing your experience when using the Site, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements on the Site and providing you with content based on your interests;
- allowing us to improve the Site and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our visitors’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing trends about your and other visitors’ use of the Site;
- helping our advertisers and sponsors better understand our visitors; and
We also may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect through the Site or elsewhere for any of these purposes.
Under what circumstances do we disclose this information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the Site:
- to affiliates, business partners and service providers who work on our behalf, including, but not limited to, affiliates, business partners and service providers who, for example, provide order and payment processing services; process employment applications on our behalf; help us gather and analyze information about usage of the Site; and deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- to affiliates, business partners and service providers who may deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- when we are not otherwise prohibited by applicable law or the policies of the World Bank Group from doing so without your express consent.
In addition, we may share aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, as well as de-identified information, with third parties.
The Site also may contain links to websites published by third parties. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
Where is this information stored?
Information collected through the Site may be processed and stored outside of your home country, which may not provide the same level protection for your personal information as your home country, and may be available to that country’s government or its agencies under a lawful order made in that country. In addition, we may transfer your information outside your home country to our affiliates, business partners, and service providers located in other countries for use in connection with this Site. By using the Online Services, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, these other countries.
How is your information secured?
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected by the Site. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to the Site over networks that we do not control, including the internet and wireless networks.
If your contact information changes, if you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us or to have us share your information with third parties for marketing purposes, or if you wish to change or inquire about the information that you have provided to us through the Site, please submit a request at the contact information listed below.
Updates as of June 30, 2019; 24 May 2018; 3 June 2014.